Tuesday, November 27, 2012

What's With the New Blog?

A number of people have asked me why I've started posting here as opposed to my regular hangout on The SharePoint Cowboy.  There are a few reasons for this:

1. I need someplace to post non-SharePoint material.  I recently spent some time re-organizing my main blog and realized there's a lot of stuff in there that doesn't pertain to SharePoint and even more stuff I never posted because it's a work blog.  So this serves as a bucket for all my random nonsense.

2. I'm in the process of moving and updating the BinaryWave servers and I don't want to create a bunch of material that I will lose at some point.  Once the migration is complete I'll kick the SharePoint posts back into gear - there's a whole stack of 2013 stuff piling up on my desk.  In the meantime hit The SharingPoint for any new content.  This was my old blog before I moved it in-house to dogfood the SharePoint blog capabilities (way back in 2007 - yikes!) and I'm now using it as a mirror site and temporary sandbox.

3. I hate to say this but the SharePoint blog functionality is rudimentary at best (I'm being kind).  After fighting hard to get 2010 to emulate some basic blog features (like clean article links, automatic archives and permalinks - see here and here) without having to install something like CKS:EBE I got frustrated and decided to see how the real blog platforms had evolved over the years.  Sadly, it seems we're still light years behind in the SharePoint world and not gaining much ground.

So there you have it.  I'll be popping up on here from time to time, talking about things like mobile computing, smartphones, tablets, and a whole range of other topics.  But no SharePoint.  Or at least as little as I can possibly manage...

No comments:

Post a Comment